CRAG Statement - Making children visible in the EU Budget 2014-2020
Together with our members and partners from other EU and international child rights networks, Eurochild engaged in an EU-wide action to make sure that the next seven year budget secures sufficient investment in children.
The Children’s Right Action Group (CRAG) has been closely monitoring the budget negotiations and all instruments that will be relevant for children both within the EU and in its external policies. In this letter, CRAG urges the EU Member States to:
- Maintain the level of expenditure for the overall MFF proposed by the European Commission.
- Ensure sufficient spending goes to children in particular in the areas of smart and inclusive growth, fundamental rights, security and citizenship, and in global Europe.
- Recognise the need for and ensure investment in children including protection, access to health and education, development and growth in a safe environment in Europe and in external relations of the EU.
- Promote social inclusion and combating poverty, in particular child poverty, through all EU structural funds.
- Ensure development aid levels that have a true impact on poverty eradication.