Education - A gateway to well-being for all children
RECORDING & RESOURCES NOW AVAILABLE.
On 18 November we celebrated World Children’s Day and the 32nd anniversary of the UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) adoption with a critical discussion on how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted children’s rights to education and their right to be informed about their rights (Article 28 & 42 of the UNCRC respectively).
Together with our partners in the Including Children Affected by Migration (ICAM) Programme, Eurochild opened a discussion on the impact on children in vulnerable situations, such as children living in poverty, children from the Roma community, children in alternative care, children with disabilities, children with a migration background, and children living in precarious family situations.
With the EU prioritising ‘school success’ and catalysing investment in early childhood education and school (through the Child Guarantee and the European Education Area), this webinar shined a spotlight on innovative solutions that can help children in the most vulnerable situations and put a brake on the education inequalities exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- MEP Antonio López-Istúriz White (Spain - the European People's Party);
- MEP Ilana Cicurel (France – the Renew Group);
- MEP Victor Negrescu (Romania – the Socialists & Democrats)
- Professional perspectives from four countries – Italy, Romania, Spain and the UK
- Introduction video from MEP Antonio López-Istúriz White, Vice-Chair of the Intergroup on Children’s Rights from European People’s Party, Spain
- Opinion on the European education area from MEP Ilana Cicurel, the Renew Europe, France
- Presentation on children damaged by the pandemic by Chris Gittins, Director at the Northampton Centre for Learning Behaviour, University of Northampton & coordinator of the ICAM Programme. This presentation is an introduction to his video
- Save the Children Italy’s report from 2018 on education poverty in Italy and the ppt presentation by Fabretti Taviani, Research Consultant and Principal Investigator of the H2020 IMMERSE Project for Save the Children Italy.
- Presentation by Antonio Casquero Teacher, Colegio de San Antonio, Madrid on “How the ICAM Programme is improving well-being and inclusion in school”
- Presentation on efforts to address education inequality for schools in Spain by Carles López, President of Plataforma de Infancia , Eurochild National Partner Network in Spain and member of Eurochild’s Taskforce
Watch the Facebook live recording: