Education inequality: Equal chances for every child
Our webinar ‘Equal chances for every child: tackling inequalities and ensuring access to education for Europe’s children in need during and after the pandemic’ took place on 27 May 2021.
As part of our new campaign #CanWeBelieveInYou, developed with children and for children, Eurochild and its partners from the Including Children Affected by Migration (ICAM) Programme brought together children, policymakers, school leaders, civil society organisations, and practitioners. The discussion focused on placing greater emphasis on the socio-emotional well-being and inclusion of children and ensuring equal access to education through recovery mechanisms.
Watch the recording:
Session 1: Restoring access to education for children disproportionately affected by the pandemic
- Why Every Child must have Equal Chances-Ally Dunhill, Eurochild
- ICAM Introduction 2021
- Webinar intervention - Giancarlo Zannini
- ICAM- Children in Need and Covid 19
- How can school staff be supported to repair the damage to learning - Tudor Rosu, Terre des Hommes
- Summary of Session 1 from the ICAM Programme
- Equal chances for every child
Session 2: How can the EU strengthen children’s inclusion and socio-emotional wellbeing in education?
- Roundtable discussion - Chris Gittins, The ICAMnet Programme
- Victor, Eurochild Childrens Council, Speech during Equal chances for every Child
The pandemic has exacerbated existing inequalities, further impacting children living in poverty or exclusion, and putting huge pressure on key services for children, including education, health and social welfare services. Tackling inequalities and ensuring access to education for Europe’s children in need is key during the pandemic, and most importantly via post-pandemic recovery mechanisms.
We know that prioritising socio-emotional well-being can positively impact on children’s ability to learn at school, including children in need. Our work with ICAM is focused on ensuring every child’s right to an education, as set out in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, is realised.
To that end, the webinar :
- Gave space to Eurochild’s Children’s Council to share their experiences and views on education.
- Examined how the pandemic has negatively impacted the education of children in need.
- Showcased how the work of ICAM Programme aims to bridge the educational, digital, and the social divide.
Assistive Technologies to close the communication gap with children and families affected by migration.
Learn more about our work on the ICAM Project.
See the concept note and contact Ciaran O’Donnell for more information.