ICAM - Improving the inclusion in school of Children Affected by Migration
Eurochild is partnering in an innovative EU-funded initiative to improve the inclusion in schools and ensure the rights to quality education for all Children who have been Affected by Migration (CAM).
CAM are children who, for whatever reason, have suffered from displacement, separation or loss as a result of migration. They may:
• Be asylum seekers, refugees, economic or social migrants
• Be accompanied by their families, or have travelled alone
• Be fleeing war or other disasters
• Have had difficulties on their journeys
• Have recently arrived or been in the country for some time.
• Feel secure or be uncertain of their future
• Be left behind by parents migrating to work in another country
Read this brochure on how ICAM works.
The Erasmus+ funded ICAMnet Project (2019-2022) is implementing the successfully trialled Including Children Affected by Migration (ICAM) programme in schools across 4 countries: Italy, Spain, Romania and the UK. Eurochild have disseminated the programme amongst its members & wider network across Europe, including in Bulgaria & Greece where ICAM is looking to expand into.
The programme aims to improve the inclusion in school of the approximately 10.5 million CAM in Europe. This also includes approximately 2.5 million children left behind by parents migrating for work.
The ICAM programme increases the access to learning and improves the learning capacity of CAM by enhancing the climate of convivencia (living in harmony) in schools, by raising awareness of the rights they are entitled to, and by providing additional support for their social and emotional wellbeing in school and at home. This includes reducing bullying and exclusion in school to which CAM are particularly vulnerable.
The programme works with school staff and parents/carers in the home to restore the ability of CAM to grow and develop into valued citizens in a safe and secure learning environment.
How is Eurochild contributing to the ICAMnet Project?
As Europe’s largest child rights network, Eurochild recognises that education needs to be child-friendly, child-centered, and accessible, so that all children can reach their full potential. Through the ICAMnet Project, we are raising the need for Europe’s education systems to place greater emphasis on the socio-emotional well-being and inclusion of children.
To this end, we are advocating for European Union policies such as the European Child Guarantee, the EU Strategy on the Rights of the Child and the new Pathways to School Success Initiative, to prioritise children’s right to accessing quality and inclusive education. We are also disseminating the ICAMnet Project across our European network and with our partners in the EU institutions.
Explore these resources to learn more about the work of the ICAMnet Project:
- Watch the recording and download the resources from the ICAM event "Education - A gateway to well-being for all children"
- Watch our online conference on tackling education inequality, organised as part of the ICAMnet Project
- Read our article Equal chances for every child
- Watch this video on the 12 aspects of the ICAM programme in schools
For more information, please contact our ICAMnet partners or Agata D'Addato (Eurochild Senior Project Manager) and Ciaran O'Donnell (Eurochild Policy and Project Officer).
For more information, visit the ICAMnet Project website.