Portugal's Child Guarantee National Action Plan - An overview
2021 was a turning point in the fight against child poverty, with the launch of two landmark initiatives, the EU Strategy on the Rights of the Child and the European Child Guarantee.
As EU Member States submit their Child Guarantee National Action Plans, Eurochild will share highlights from each plan that members, children's rights advocates and influencers can use in their own work to ensure children's rights remain high on the political agendas across Europe.
The Portuguese government submitted Portugal's Child Guarantee National Action Plan (NAP) on 6 February.
The Portuguese Child Guarantee National Action Plan focuses on:
- Early Childhood Education and Care: Implementation of the Mental Health and Parenting Programme in Primary Health Care Support: ensuring free kindergartens for all;
- Education: Provision of necessary equipment in school; creation of “accompanied study spaces”; implementation of informal and non formal education;
- Healthcare: Access to proximity consultations in Primary Healthcare services; free access to mental health facilities for children in poverty; extension of suicide prevention programmes;
- Nutrition: Provision of a free meal at school every day; initiatives on healthy eating;
- Housing: Implementing the Housing Access Support Programme; access to emergency or transitional housing solutions;
- Children in Alternative Care: Strengthening the network of institutions covering host family care response; pedagogical support for children in childcare residences.
Eurochild and its members will continue to call on Member States to release their plans and to work on ensuring the Child Guarantee National Action Plans helps end child poverty.
This overview presents highlights extracted from the National Action Plan (NAP) from Portugal published on 06/02/2023. It is not exhaustive nor does it evaluate the NAP and uses the same terms as those in the NAP. It is intended to summarise key elements & to signpost stakeholders to other relevant analyses.